Summer is here. What do you think of when you read or say the word Summer? Most of us relate summer to fun in the sun, beaches, palm trees, cold drinks, fishes, sunglasses, and yes bikinis. I don’t know what it is, but if you think of summer icons, there is always a bikini.
Did you know that the name for the bikini design was coined in 1946 by Parisian engineer Louis Réard. 😮 Yes, the inventor of the bikini was an automobile engineer! 😀 While on St. Tropez beaches, he noticed women rolling up the edges of their swimsuits to get a better tan, which inspired him to design a swimsuit with the midriff exposed. He named it after Bikini Atoll, where testing on the atomic bomb was taking place. Réard said that “like the bomb, the bikini is small and devastating.” Isn’t it ironic that such a feminine summer staple has such an unusual masculine origin?
For some reason beyond me, when I think of summer I think of bikinis. And if I am more specific I admit I think of Yellow Polka Dot Bikinis. I bet you are singing that famous tune on your head now!? 😀
I don’t know if it’s the color, the polka dots, both or what, but they bring a smile on my face and they are one of the most summery things I can think of.
It’s been a while since I did a post in my “The case of:” series. So today, I did a little research and for an almost iconic piece of swimwear, I was surprised to find there were not too many online sources of yellow polka dot bikinis. Are they so passé? Are they too cliché? I don’t know. You tell me.
So here I leave you the evidence of this case. Among the few options, there’s variety, not only in appearance but in price. Do you consider brands or you buy what you like at first sight? Do you have the eye for the expensive? You be the judge.
- Chalmart Women’s Summer Hot Halter 2 Pieces Printed Bra Bikini Lasting ($50.27 20% OFF)
- Sexy Yellow With White Polka Dot Contrast Trim Pin Up Bikini M/L ($64.90)
- Daisy Beachwear Pin-Up Yellow Polka Dot Pucker Back Bikini ($44.00 25% OFF)
- 1950s Style Yellow & White Polka Dot Two Piece High Waisted Halter Bikini ($86.00)
- Cleo by PanacheBetty Underwired Padded Frill Bandeau Bikini Top ($34.00)
- Cleo by PanacheBetty Halterneck Bikini Top ($32.00)
- Egelbel Women Cutest Swimsuit Swimwear Vintage Pin up Polka Dot Bikini Set ($21.99 – $32.99)
- JCREW Grid dot teeny hipster bottom ($43.74) + JCREW Grid dot halter top ($43.99)
I must confess that I have never worn a bikini. Beats me why! :S But who knows, maybe after this post I might finally wear one. And it just might happen to be a yellow polka dot one! You only live once right? 😀